Sunday, June 19, 2011

milk

I have 2 goats that I am milking right now. I have to milk them twice a day and each time they give me about a quart of milk each. So each day I end up with around a gallon of milk that I have to figure out what to do with. The three of us definitely do not drink a gallon of milk a day so I have been trying to get creative. First I made some soap with it and I think that turned out quite nicely but it has to dry for 6 weeks so I have not tried it yet so I am not gonna say for sure until I have used it. Yesterday I worked all day trying to do stuff with the extra milk so it does not go bad. I made pudding and froze it, some of the pudding I froze inside sugar cones but we are not too crazy about those so from now on I will just freeze the pudding and not try to be creative with it, I also mixed up some strawberry ice cream with fresh strawberries in it. We tried some of the ice cream today and it was yummy!! Today I mixed up a batch of chevre cheese and it is in the oven (turned off) right now so that it can sit for about 16 hours to seperate. I will know about 4:00 tomorrow if it is turning out right. I am also planning on make some fudge, and a syrup called cajeta to freeze and jar. Hopefully by this time next year I will be a pro at knowing what to do with all of the milk because next year I will have 4 milk goats. :-)

2 comments:

  1. April, I was just thinking, you could make yogurt too! I have a friend who makes her own yogurt. If you want, I can try to get her recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Betty, please do, I have been trying to find a good yogurt recipe.

    ReplyDelete