Sunday, May 22, 2011

Saturdays



Just like everyone some of my Saturdays are busier then others. Yesterday was one of those busy Saturdays that it feels good to work but you also cannot wait until it is over. I am still tired from yesterday. My day today still had to start at 6 wether I am tired or not. I am the only one in this trailer that does not EVER get to sleep in. Maybe if I am sick or something but as of right now I am the only one that can milk both of the goats all the way out and once I am up then I am up. Yesterday started out the way each and every day does for me. My alarm goes off at 6, I take a few seconds pondering the idea of just letting the goats dry up and start buying milk again. Then I realize that is an insane idea after all the years of dreaming of being self sufficient and we are finally seeing that dream in sight. We will never be totally off grid but in small ways we are getting more self reliant. After my few minute battle with myself and that dreaded alarm I get up and go out and milk goats, and feed and water everyone including the goats. I have a pretty good routine down now and it doesnt take too long. Realizing that this might be the only day in the next ten days without rain I decide I need to get done outside as much as possible I get a couple loads of laundry done and hang on the line and then I happily go out to clean out the barn. Wow!!!! A month of bedding piling up takes a REALLY long time to clean up and wet bedding is REALLY heavy. After many hours of cleaning the barn I am finally finished and get a sandwich to eat for lunch. Then I decide to go out and hoe the garden because all this rain seems to be making the weeds grow faster then the plants. Our ground is made mostly of clay and when you mix dry clay with months of almost all rain you dont get normal mud you get a mushy mass of clay. It was dry enough on the surface though to hoe up the weeds and my garden looks pretty good now. Well, while I was doing this Doug took Tim to get his license and then when he got back he decided it would be a good day to burn the brush piles over at Aunt Connie's house. Well these piles were HUGE and he expected them to go up in a great big blaze of glory and burn really really quickly but the piles had other ideas and took forever to burn. Tim had to work today and Doug couldnt leave these burning (not quickly at all!) piles so I had to take him to work in all my stinky mud covered with a coating of clay glory hoping that I didnt really smell THAT bad. Tim didnt say anything so I either did not reek or he was just being polite. Today was also Tim's birthday so I was surprised he did not request the day off anyway. Also while I was out doing all this wonderful out of doors work I was not thinking about the sun and did get a little sunburn but it will change to tan by this afternoon. :-) My wonderful husband also let us order pizza for dinner because we were all so exhausted and it tasted oh so good. Food tastes so much better when you are really really hungry. I want everyone who is reading this to realize that these were just the big things of my day, I also had all of the normal everyday things to do also but if I wrote about those everyday then I am sure you would get bored. It is Sunday now and Saturday is over. I am planning on relaxing today but you never know what the day will bring.

2 comments:

  1. Great day April, my Saturday sounds very close to yours. I love that sense of accomplishment at the end of a very long, hard day or working around the farm. I completely understand about the food. I had a huge salad for lunch and my husband was making faces at me because I was eating so fast, not to get back to work but because I was STARVING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love busy days, everytime I try to have a day where I dont do anything I get bored, lol.

    ReplyDelete